I’ve been dreaming up this green smoothie all day. As I am now on a one-handed countdown (4 days!) until my holiday, I’m doing a last-minute, slightly panicked pre-bikini detox. Nothing but juices and smoothies all day, and then fish and vegetables in the evening (this really is only for a few days, I wouldn’t recommend this long term!)
As you can imagine, by 3pm today, I was pretty starving. I don’t do well on juice detoxes, as you know. I had been concocting my afternoon smoothie since breakfast. It had to have to have all the components of the perfect smoothie:
- It had to be filling – this was to see me through until suppertime
- It had to be sweet – but not too sweet, as I didn’t want a sugar rush, and then a sugar crash and find myself picking my way through the kids’ tea
- It had to contain some vegetables – for fibre, antoxidants and detoxification
- It had to be high in protein – an absolute must! This is what would keep me full for the afternoon.
- Essential fats were…essential – also to keep me full, and to provide those good Omega 3 fats which actually help to burn fat in the body
- It had to be completely delicious! Of course.
With this gorgeous weather we are having, I’ve been fantasising about Piña Coladas and so I wanted to recreate something reminiscent of everyone’s favourite tropical cocktail, without the booze, but packed full of goodness.
So here it is, the recipe for my Totally Tropical Green Smoothie, which was simply heavenly:
- 1/2 a can coconut milk
- 100mls water
- Handful of frozen pineapple
- 6" chunk of cucumber, peeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 scoop of your favourite protein powder*
- Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender, and whizz for a minute or two. Enjoy immediately.
- *The protein powder is a key ingredient that will keep you full and fend off the afternoon cravings. I'm currently using Sunwarrior Warrior Blend in Vanilla. Pulsin also do some good protein powders which are a little more affordable.